Just a quick update to show off the last of the panels I completed this weekend.
I repeated the same pattern as the first long panel, but this time attempted to stay a little truer to the original design. Â I’d gotten a comment on the first carving in relation to the original about too much open space, so I concentrated on reducing the amount of background visible. Â I think it came out pretty nicely actually, and I see what he was talking about. Â He should know, as he’s studied the original.
Changing the layout slightly andÂ focusingÂ on filling the space made it so that I didn’t really need the punchwork to level the background. Â I spent a little more time on the “facets” of the background, to get a pleasing look and quickly found a groove that worked well.
Next step it to turn this into a box with a top and bottom. Â I’m going to nail it together with cut nails from Tremont, with a rabbet on the front and back. Â Â Not sure yet if I’m going to carve the top, or leave it plain with a simple molded edge or not.
All in all, I’m very pleased with how this is going.