Since I had finished up the previous panel last week, I started on the second panel while taking a break from the family that had invaded our house. Â Invaded is a bit of strong word, since I do enjoy their company but I wanted to make some progress on this project. Â I didn’t spend much time documenting this one, so all you get is my finished photo this time.
You can see the previous panel in the back, and the new S-Scroll panel in the foreground. Â I will be doing a different pattern on each of the six panels for this project just for fun, and showing off. Â Also, to get more practice at each of these styles.
Speaking of practice, all the effort I had spent on previous panels paid off this time. Â I started out with my standard scribe lines and thought I was going to do a different panel, a sort of “arcs and fleurs” pattern. Â However, I realized I had laid it out wrong! Â But I was able to simply switch to another pattern since many of them share a common layout of rectangles. Â The other pattern will be next, and I’ll be a little less cavalier about the layout this time.
The S-Scroll pattern I did here was a simplified version of a pattern I had done before, and was dictated as always by “the point of the tool”. Â I had laid out the rectangles, evenly divided by finding my center lines both vertical and horizontal as well as eyeballing a good margin. Â Then I stepped off from the middle with a pair of dividers till I got something looked about right. Â The ease in which I am able to do this (once I had let go of my ruler) has absolutely convinced me that its what craftsmen of old did. Â It just makes sense and is quite efficient with surprisingly little practice.
After finding the center line of the rectangles I marked some arcs with a divider to mark the end of the S shape. Â Then I picked up chisels till I had one that fit the arc well enough, and struck the half circles in. Â Then I sketched right on the wood to get an idea of how it would look, and then started fitting chisels to the sketch. Â The outside lines are struck in with chisels, and the center of each S is done with the V tool. Â All in all I used about 4-5 chisels of various sizes and curves to set in the outline, Â and two flat gouges small and medium to relieve the background. Â Once I had the background relieved I used my home made texture punches and gave the background some texture. Â Couple swipes of the smoother and voila!
All in all I think I was down there less than two hours, which made me feel good. I was able to recover from my layout mistake and come up with a simple quick pattern and execute it in an afternoon. Â That felt pretty good, I gotta say.