See Previous installments on this project here:
The deadline (self imposed) for this project is coming up, and I needed to make some serious progress this weekend. Â I’ve been busier than my normal level of insanely busy at work due to a “restructuring” that saw 50 people laid off, but my group got three additional people from other groups so I had to get them integrated and up to speed. Â So, extra levels of chaos at work and mental exhaustion means I didn’t get anything done last week like I wanted to.
Fortunately this weekend I had some clear space and an accommodating wife who sent me down to get it done. Â On Saturday I knocked out two complete panels as well started chamfering the edges for the hex shape.
Here is a shot of the finished panels and theÂ the sixth panel will be the bottom, and won’t get decorated. Â The order completed is first on the bottom with most recent at the top. Â I got more comfortable as I went, and feel like my first panel was the worst in term of ease and final product. Â Starting at the bottom, they are arranged in order of completion.
The one with my nickname on it will be on top, and presented a unique challenge, lettering. Â I have never done anything like that before, and didn’t have a clear idea on how to do it. Â But, I kind of made up my letters based on a mish mash of times new roman, and some letters I saw carved on a chest from the 16th century. Â Turned out ok, I suppose.
The top pattern is totally new to me, and is from a partial pattern of a wainscot chair back that I had in my photo collection that I believe came from museum shot from Peter’s Blog. Â The pattern was pretty simple to layout with three of my collection of dividers, and I like how it came out. Â It works pretty well in the relatively soft Alder I’m working in, since small details can be fragile in this wood.
Last night I had gotten the 30 degree bevel planed on three panels so far, but that was enough for one day. Â Today I got back to work on the bevels, and thankfully for my sore back learned a new lesson.
I was spending 30-40 strokes with the #5 fore plane set very aggressive. Â I was working up a serious sweat, and my back is sore from yesterday. Â I thought there has to be a better way, and then I remembered my old drawknife. I bought this back in the beginning of my woodworking adventure, and never really found a use for it. Â Today I learned the lesson, don’t forget the old tool. Â The drawknife takes aggressive cuts easily, and I was able to hog off the waste in a few dozen strokes with a lot less effort. Â Then a few passes of the #5 and #7 planes and done.
I think I can get this done in time to take it to the Tool Chest class out in Port Townsend. Â I’m hoping to use it to carry all or most of my tools I want to take to the class with me. Â We’ll see how many fit once I’ve actually got it together.